Safety & Security
YRT/Viva cares about your safety and security.
Our dedicated Transit Enforcement team offers security, customer assistance and fare enforcement services throughout the system. We also have technologies in place, such as security cameras and vehicle communication systems, to assist us in creating a safer environment for our customers.
Learn more about Transit Enforcement and security on the Transit Enforcement page.
Travel safely with these tips:
- At the bus stop, stand at least five feet away from the curb until the bus comes to a complete stop
- Cross at intersections where possible and obey all traffic signals
- Always be aware of traffic
- Make yourself visible, especially at night
- Don't run out into traffic to catch a bus
- Take off your headphones when you cross the street--you need your ears as well as your eyes
- Don't cross the street in front or behind the bus when it is stopped--there's no yellow safety arm stopping traffic!
- Carry your bag or knapsack in front of you when you get on or off the bus--you wouldn't want to get stuck in the doors when the bus takes off!
- Ride inside the bus--don't stick your arms or head out the window
- Once you're on the bus, stay clear of the doors
- If you're standing on the bus, hold onto the rail to avoid falling and hurting yourself (or someone else)
- The bus will wait while everyone gets on or off--don't push when entering or exiting
- Leave the bus by the rear door