If you are a high school student, you are eligible to pay student fares or use a student monthly pass as long as you show a valid high school student ID card (issued by your educational facility) or YRT/Viva student ID card when boarding.
How to get a High School Student ID Card
- Contact your high school for more information.
- If you have a valid student ID card from your high school, you do not need a YRT/Viva student ID card to buy or use high school student fares.
How to get a YRT/Viva Student ID Card
YRT/Viva student ID cards are issued to students 13 and over still attending elementary school. They may also be issued to high school students who have lost their ID card (at a cost of $5.00).
- For students 13 and over still attending elementary school, provide us with a letter from the elementary school principal confirming attendance at the school. The YRT/Viva student ID card will be issued free of charge.
- For high school students who have lost their ID card, provide us with a signed letter from your principal or vice principal showing that you are a full-time high school student.
- YRT/Viva student IDs are by appointment only. Please call 905-762-1282 ext. 75600.
- Fill out an application at the York Region Transit office located at 50 High Tech Road, 5th Floor, Richmond Hill, between 8:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Monday to Friday.
If you do not have a letter, we will contact your school for verification of your student status.
How to get a TTC Student ID Card
Visit TTC's website for TTC Student Card information.
Please note: A High School Student is any person having reached the age of 13, but not having reached the age of 20 and in full-time day attendance at a qualifying educational facility (ticket, pass or PRESTO card must be accompanied with a valid student ID card issued by the facility).