Travel safely with these tips
Safety at bus stops/on-street:
- Cross at intersections and obey all traffic signals.
- At the bus stop, stand at least five feet away from the curb until the bus comes to a complete stop.
- Always be aware of traffic and watch for turning cars.
- Make yourself visible, especially at night.
- Do not run out into traffic to catch a bus.
- Take off your headphones when you cross the street. You need your ears as well as your eyes.
- Do not cross the street directly in front or behind the bus when it is stopped. Use caution, a public transit bus is not a school bus; other traffic is not required to stop.
Safety at Rapidways/stations:
- To access Viva on the rapidway, push the pedestrian button to activate the walk signal. Only cross when the walk signal is lit.
- When exiting the rapidway, push the pedestrian button in the middle waiting area to activate the walk signal. Only cross when the walk signal is lit and watch for turning cars when you are crossing.
- Crossing Highway 7 at the rapidway requires two stages. Stop in the middle waiting area and push the pedestrian button to activate the walk signal. Only continue crossing when the walk signal is lit.
Safety on the bus:
- Carry your bag or knapsack in front of you when you get on or off the bus. You wouldn't want to get stuck in the doors when the bus takes off!
- Ride inside the bus. Do not stick your arms or head out the window.
- Once you're on the bus, stay clear of the doors.
- If you're standing on the bus, hold onto the rail to avoid falling and hurting yourself (or someone else).
- The bus will wait while everyone gets on or off. Do not push when entering or exiting.
- Exit the bus at the rear doors. Push the yellow bar when exiting.